I would LOVE the opportunity to come teach your group! Please email for details.
LET THE MAGIC IN YOU COME OUT!

Search This Blog

5.02.2012

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!

Margie, Vivian, Carmen, Bertha and Momy

My Colombian quilt group is a wonderful group of six women (including me) that I meet with every week on Wednesday. 


Each of these ladies add so much to the group and it's been awesome to get to know them. Vivian speaks perfect English. 


Margie and Momy do very well; 



Bertha understands and speaks some English


and then Carmen, who initially invited me, speaks and understands very little.


But together, we manage to have a beautiful time. I love them dearly.

They are excellent traditional quilters 



This is a quilt that we're working on together.
but still accept me not only for who I am but also the weird things I bring to work on and show at our meetings. :)

pages from my fabric Boat Book





a page from my Happy For No Reason Book
The cool thing is that because they speak Spanish when we meet, I'm learning the language from them.


a spread from my ongoing Evolution altered book project

Slowly...but surely. 

some of my bohemiannie! hootchie mamas

As you may have gathered, I don't usually like to use or follow a pattern when I make art, but one of these ladies asked if I would make a block for her - for her birthday - 



using the above picture from an old PieceMakers calendar (which I had given her & thankfully did have the pattern pieces for).


 - and after wrestling my thoughts of "EEEEEK!!! I am not a perfectionist and it's gonna be too much of a challenge for me"...I got busy and made the block. 


Actually, I made three because I like to do assembly line sewing 


and figured she could pick her favorite out of them. 


It turns out that 2 more birthdays came before I had them all done...


so each of them are receiving one of these bird house quilt blocks - which I will deliver later today. :) 


Nope, they're not perfect...and I didn't get them finished in time to deliver them before we left to go to the States, but belated birthday presents are fun too!


Speaking of which, I made lots of bookmarks to give to the ladies that attended my workshops in Florida (more on those next post) and to friends that I crossed paths with - and have several left over.


If you'd like an early or belated birthday present, email your address to me and I'll send you one when I come to the States again next September / October.


Happy Birthday!     

*You ARE having a birthday this year...right?!?






And thanks so much for all the beautiful wishes I received!!!

annie! 








21 comments:

  1. Looks like a fantastic group of women to spend your days creating with, laughing and talking. xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt about it - they’re wonderful! Thanks Corrine!

      Delete
  2. best wishes! My goodnes there is so much beautiful in the post I don't know where to begin, lets just say you are a wonder, so talented, lovely happy smiles, smiles are on e language everyone understands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’ve got that right! These very sophisticated ladies taught me how to say…holy shit on the day I took this shot!!! LOL! Hard to explain but it just came up in conversation. When I was little, my dad would tell us six kids to say ‘shit’ before he snapped a picture. It was the only time I was allowed to cuss without serious repercussions and to this day…I say the same when I take a picture. It took this group by surprise when I did it as it does everyone and I always love the expressions I can capture! Thanks for the lovely compliment!

      Delete
    2. What a wonderful group of people to surround yourself with. Glad you are safely home and had a good trip.

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much Char! I totally agree!

      Delete
  3. It is all beautiful, but your hoocie mamas rock! Sounds like a beautiful community too:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so awesome...and what a lovely group you have found! Love everything about the quilt blocks and the bookmarks too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Adriann! I really appreciate the beautiful compliment. :)

      Delete
  5. PS-what's your email address? I would love a bookmark from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I’d love for you to have one of them. You can hit the reply button or email me at

      bohemiannie (at) gmail.com (written that way to prevent spammers from finding it so easily)

      Thanks so much for visiting my blog and giving me ANOther lovely compliment of wanting one of my bookmarks!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I just sent you an email. You are beautiful!!!♥

      Delete
  6. How generous of you to share. Don't know if you will send to Europe though, but if you do I would love one. I've been wanting to own an original Annie forever ;-)
    Your group sounds lovely, it's always great to find likeminded spirits even if they do make completely different things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Caatje! I dearly love my ladies.
      I’m thrilled that you’d like to have one of my bookmarks and would love to send one to Europe! Just send me your address. It’s a very humble annie! original…but it will go into an envelope with your name and address on it as soon as you email back with your info. Just have to wait until we visit the States again in October before I can mail it as the cost of mailing from Colombia is prohibitive!

      Delete
  7. such a wonderful experience for all involved! art language and friendship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS! And…we’re going for cocktails tomorrow night to celebrate all these birthdays!

      Delete
  8. Wonderful houses, annie! They seem to be a recurring theme! I’m sure the recipients are/will be thrilled with their gifts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin! I figured I’d do three at a time in hopes one would come out good, better…best!

      Delete
  9. Those traditional quilts are beautiful, as are your creations. Your birdhouses are as sweet as can be. Hoping there will be a bookmark left for me. My birthday is in November so the timing will be pretty perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I’ll get one into an addressed envelope as soon as you send me your address! Thanks so much for your support and encouragement and comments!

      Delete

Yuckola. More than half of my email has been from anonymous, so.....